Sunday, November 7, 2010

45 Rupees = 1 US Dollar

This is something I thought needed to have its very own post.

Words really aren't coming to me as I thought they would when I thought about writing this post.  The only thing I can think to say is that Americans are extremely selfish and don't even realize it.  The average American household earns about $30,000 a year.  That is the equivalent to 1,332,746.60 Rupees.  However, the "average" (I put average in quotations because I'm not sure the average is this high, this is just what the people we talked to said they can live off of) only makes 106,620 Rupees per year, which is the equivalent to $2,400 per year!!!  That means they can live off of $200 a month.

I understand that you have to put into consideration that America is more expensive to live in, but how many of us could cut back on going out to eat, seeing movies, giving/receiving Christmas/birthday gifts, or any of the other luxuries that we treat ourselves to everyday.  Do we really have to get our nails done?  Do we really have to have the nicest car?  Do we really have to have the most decorated house so that everyone we have over compliments how beautiful it is?  Those things are not necessities, but the society that we live in says they are.


The people in India live simple.  Some of them have no idea where their dinner is going to come from.  Some of them have the desire to spread the gospel at all costs, but don't have the means to do so.  There are more people in India than we could ever imagine to take care of, but next time we do something or buy something that we think we "need" please think about those in India!


I can honestly say that I am guilty of these "needs."  So, as I write this post I am not only speaking to you, I am speaking to myself as well.


Please pray for India,
Kimberly



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I haven't been able to keep up a whole lot with your trip but as I am now able to sit down and read over your posts and your blog I am so amazed. I feel so blessed to have gotten to know you guys and watch as you two were married. It may sound kind of crazy coming from me but I am so proud of the two of you! This is just awesome! I would love to hear more about SFT as well. Sounds like an amazing ministry. God bless you two as I know He will!