So, remember when I thought I might get a little out of control? Well, after posting that post I got the idea in my head to make a diaper cake. I have never made a diaper cake so to you tube I went. If you ever want to know how to do anything there's probably a you tube video for it. Whenever anything in our house messes up, Gary heads to the computer to figure out the problem and fix it. What did people do before you tube??? Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I had heard that diaper cakes can be pretty expensive and since I have already spent a good penny on the nephew (he's worth more than money can buy, but I want to spoil him and Gary thinks I'm getting too much), I thought that other people might want to go in with me on this cake. My friend Rachel hadn't bought her gift yet so she said she would love to help with the diaper cake!! She already had the diapers and so she went to the store and got some little baby items to stuff in it. I also googled pictures of diaper cakes to see what I wanted ours to look like (what did people do before google?). I found some that I just loved and I found some that I didn't like at all. So, I decided to incorporate a few different ones into mine. My grandmother, my sister, and me had a good ole' time making this thing!
Now this isn't the finished product. There are still a few other things I want to add, but we ran out of time last night. Don't worry I'll post another one once it's finished.
Items used (so far):
100 size 1 diapers
a package of baby plasticware (included a fork and 2 spoons in 4 colors)
a multi colored rattle
3 multi colored teething rings
a decorative box from Hobby Lobby (I was going to get a cardboard cake tray, but they were just a couple dollars cheaper than this. I'll keep this to use for my future diaper cakes!)
brown ribbon (used a little less than 5 yards. Maybe even less than 4 yards, but I would get 5 just to be safe)
a wooden letter 'B'
and lots of love!
I'm going to head to the store later today to get a few more little things and maybe stick the big 'b' out of the top and paint some letters spelling 'Benjamin' in blue and hot glue those to the second tier. So, there's still a few things I need to do, but I thought I could show my progress thus far!
Let me know what you think!