Monday, January 17, 2011

The Lady in The Flowerdy Shirt

I met her at the train station the Friday before my birthday when I was on my way to meet Gary.  She was headed in the same direction as me when I saw her.  It was quite crowded on the sidewalk that day, so many people were bumping into each other as they hurried along.  However, the lady in the flowerdy shirt was unable to move as quickly because she was blind.  There were 3 ladies standing towards the front of the sidewalk that she tapped with her walking stick as she tried to get back on track after dodging people rushing by.  One lady was kind enough to grab the back of her arm and guided her back to a straight path.  I was kind of in a hurry because Gary was waiting on me.  Several thoughts went through my head including this one, "I mean she will never know if I walk by her and don't help.  She can't even see me," but I just couldn't do it.  I walked up beside her and asked where she was headed.  She said, "I'm going to go up here to the "L" and turn and get on the elevator."  There was only one way to turn once you made it to the "L" so I knew we were going the same way.  I said, "Well, why don't I just lead you there."  She grabbed the back of my arm and thanked me.  We got to chit chat as we walked and she asked me where I was from and why I was in Malaysia.  As we neared the elevator I asked her where she was headed after she got off the elevator.  She said she was going to the bank.  I asked her if it was on the way to the Monorail station because that's where I was headed and I would be happy to drop her off if it was.  She said, "No, it's the other way.  Thank you for offering though." 

As I left her behind to wait on the elevator my mind immediatly started to race. 

Isn't our spiritual life kind of like this?  Just like the lady in the flowerdy shirt we have a destination.  We know where that destination is.  Sometimes we may even feel like we are blindly walking.  There are even sometimes when we might get off on the wrong path and people will have to guide us back to the right path.  But no matter what happens we have to keep our mind and focus on our ending destination, Heaven.

Thank you to the Lady in the flowerdy shirt!  You helped me more than you know!

Let someone be a lesson to you today,

8 comments:

Juliane McCorkle said...

Chills! Good post!

Becky W said...

Awesome!!!!

Kristen said...

Good analogy. =)

Anonymous said...

Amazing how God puts people/things in our paths to help us slow down and smell the roses or talk to more people along the way!! Thanks for reminding me that I need to slow down more often!! Love ya!!
Rachel

Amy C said...

What a nice story. It makes me step back and think. It is so true though. Thank you for sharing it. :) Thank you also for visiting my blog. Let me know how I can contact you so I can answer the question you left for me.
Amy @ thehappyscraps.blogspot.com

nat said...

Great job of helping the lady and making a practical application. You rock the house!

Candy said...

So sweet! Thanks for blogging about this :)

He Sings Over Me! said...

That is really awesome.

Spiritual duties: Sometimes we get caught up in things that we forget to witness or talk to someone about God, or we think we can't encourage them in the Lord. And we never know if it would just be the few words we speak that help them get back on track.

I love how one lady helped her get back on track and you continued from where she left off untill she needed to go on her own. That is great example of discipleship. People are placed in our lives and we either need to be the lady who helped her for a breif moment to get back on track or like you who walked and talked with her and got her to the point where she could go on by herself.

Excellent reminder to FOCUS, ENCOURAGE, and DISCIPLE!