Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Inspirational Quote Contest

A month or so ago we received a company wide email telling us about an Inspirational Quote Contest.  I actually didn't even read it because I figured it has nothing to do with me since I'm not a sales rep, but man was I wrong.  My friend asked me if I had read it and I told her I didn't.  If you don't know me very well then you don't know that I LOVE quotes!!  I have a quote book at home that is full of quotes I see or hear and I jot them down really fast!  So, I went back and read the email and I knew that I had to enter some quotes.  Each person could enter 2 quotes and they wanted the quotes to be inspiring to you and about teamwork.  I was sure I had some quotes at home that were about teamwork, but I didn't want to wait that long to enter the contest.  I began looking on the internet for some great quotes.  I found a few that I liked, but one that stuck out to me was one by Henry Ford, "Coming together is a beginning.  Keeping together is progress.  Working together is success."  We then had to explain why this quote inspired us, which was pretty easy to do since I have been on teams practically my whole life and can account to this.  I first talked about how inspiring Henry Ford was or still is today. 
A few weeks ago I received another email telling me that my quote made it to the finals.  There were a few select executives of our company that were going through all of the quotes from each service center (Nashville, San Fransisco, Denver, Dublin, and Singapore) to narrow it down to a handful to then push back to the employees to vote.  The voting lasted a couple of weeks and then they announced the 2 winners yesterday at our company mid-year meeting.  I wasn't expecting the winners to be announced in such a large setting and I wasn't expecting it to be yesterday.  You know how when you know you might possibly have to stand up in front of big crowd how your heart starts racing and your legs get jittery.  Well, that's how I felt.  Mike Smerklo, the CEO, was announcing the winners and the first one up on the screen was MY Henry Ford quote!!!!  At this point I'm really shaking because he didn't announce whose it was until after he posted both quotes.  Then he made us walk up to the front in front of 400 people and get on stage and do a Victory cheer.  Now I love being in front of people and being the center of attention, but that was a little past my comfort zone!  It was my peers!  Needless to say I had to lead the cheer because the other guy was more timid than me.  I hope to find out today what I am getting.  I seem to remember them saying we would receive an IPod or camera.  I'll keep you posted!  Also, our quote is getting posted very largely (is that a word?) on the wall at our office!!  YAY!

No comments: