Friday, June 27, 2014

My Spades Partner

In the summer of 2006, I was 21 & would be a senior at Freed in the fall.  My aunt and uncle were going on a 6 week vacation and asked if I could house sit.

So, I moved to Smyrna.  Found a job.  And attended the church they went to.

In the beginning, I didn’t really have friends.  I hung out with my grandparents A LOT.  But it was awesome because I got some of my grandmothers yummy cooking!

About half way through the 6 weeks, the church had ‘a day at the park’ and all the members were invited.  As I stood in line to get my food the guy in front of me started talking to me and invited me to his house that night for his birthday party.  He had invited several people from church so I was anxious to actually hang out with people my own age.

We played many games that night, but the one I remember the most was spades.

I can’t remember the score.  I can’t remember if we won.  But what I do remember is my partner.  I even left the party at the same time as him hoping he would ask me out on a date when we walked to our cars.

But he was clueless.

The next day I got a phone call from my aunt.  She said, “So I heard you went to a party last night.”
“What?!  How did you hear that?  You are on the other side of the US.”

Long story short, one of the guys at the party was interested in me and contacted a lady at church who knew had my aunt’s number and got her to call my aunt to get my number.  I thought that was pretty clever and was anxious to hear who it was.  Fingers crossed it was my spades partner.

Well, it wasn’t.  It was the guy who hosted the party.

He and I hung out for the next few days.  We went out to dinner, to the movies and we had people over to the house to grill out.  But I just wasn’t really into it.

On the following Sunday night a group of us went to the movies and on the way back to my car I ended it with this particular fellow.  I told myself I couldn’t use the phrase, “I’m not ready for a serious relationship,” because I knew that wasn’t true.  But in the heat of the moment that phrase popped out of mouth.  WHOOPS!  Didn’t mean it!  Oh well.  Can’t take it back now!

That Tuesday, my spades partner and I went on our first date.  It was his birthday, June 27th.

Today is June 27th.  Exactly 8 years later.  Do you want to know what my spades partner and I are doing? 

House sitting for the same aunt and uncle!!

Coincidence?  Probably, but it’s still a cool story!

Happy birthday to my most favorite spades partner in all the land!!